Monday, March 14, 2011

Ashin Naymeinda (34): “Elections only serve to keep the junta in power”

 http://burmavoices.com/2010/05/u-naymeinda-34-%E2%80%9Celections-only-serve-to-keep-the-junta-in-power/#more-33
Ashin Naymeinda’s Voice

Ashin Nayminda is 34 years old and comes from Nawmo Township, Burma. He became famous the world over, because photographs of his involvement in the Saffron Revolution appeared in the media. He is one of the two monks who are often seen in photographs with a loudspeaker.
“Together with Ashin Thaura and Ashin Gawsitha, I was one of the leading monks in the uprisings. Because of this, it was not safe in Burma anymore and I was forced to leave my country. I was forced to go into hiding for a long time and had to disrobe and put on layperson’s clothes. I managed to get to Thailand and have been living in Namti monastery, close to Mae Sot, for one year now.”

 “I am not happy at the moment. I want to do something for my country and go back, or go to a third country as a refugee.”
“I do not take the upcoming elections seriously, as they only serve to keep the junta in power.”
“As a monk, my struggle is always purely non-violent and I would never approve of violence as a way to reach my goal.”
Ashin Naymeinda was born in 1976 and entered monastic life as a novice at the age of 12.
“ I went to Mandalay when I was 16 years old. Four years later, I became ‘politically involved’. I do not call it politics, though. I just want to relieve the suffering of the people and the monks.”
According to him, the outside world cannot do much to help them in their struggle.
“I am convinced the Burmese have to do it themselves. It has to come from within. People from other countries can however, encourage us and give advise on how to conduct the struggle for freedom.”
He wonders whether there really is a solution to find a way.
“I do not believe in violence. I believe non-violence is the only way to change and bring peace worldwide. This world is for its people to live peacefully and we have to do all we can to enable that.”
How can you fight such a strong enemy with guns the non-violent way?
“Non-violence is the only way. Metta (loving kindness) is much stronger when more people unite. We need more people to join, but this will take time. We also need brave and fearless leaders. Practical leaders, who take action and are not afraid. I would go back anytime to lead, despite all the dangers.”
In 1994, Ashin Naymeinda was imprisoned in Mandalay for two months. Up until this day, he does not know what the exact reasons were.
The NLD (main opposition party in Burma) is currently reforming: its old aging leadership is joined by younger leaders. Will they play a role as these brave leaders who are needed?
“I have no opinion on the reforms within the NLD. I want to see leaders who are ready to sacrifice themselves. Brave people like this can come from anywhere and any rank. Most of the people have big mouths and are only talking. But when it comes down to it, they do not do anything. It can take a long time though, maybe more than 20 years, for this to happen. “
“At the beginning of the Saffron Revolution, many monks had big ideas and were talking a lot. When things really happened, they failed to come into action. If everybody had followed their words and had done what they were talking about, Burma would long have been free.

0 comments:

Post a Comment