Thursday, March 3, 2011

U Zawana (50): “When the Burmese people and the international community take real action, change can come.”

 http://burmavoices.com/2010/12/u-zawana-50-when-the-burmese-people-and-the-international-community-take-real-action-change-can-come/#more-894
U Zawana’s Voice

U Zawana is a Buddhist monk, originally from Bago Division. He became politically involved during the unrest and demonstrations in Burma in 1988.
Two years later, a religious boycott – a so-called pattanikkujjana – was announced. This is a powerful gesture by the Buddhist clergy towards the military regime. By calling for this boycott, Buddhist monks literally overturn their alms bowls and refuse alms offerings by people belonging to the junta or the army.

” I first got arrested during this 1990 pattanikkujjana.
In 1992 they arrested me again. At the time a UN Japanese special envoy (Yozo Yokota) visited Burma. I went there to meet them and give them information about the situation in the country. They arrested me.”
Sayadaw, how were you treated in prison?
 “I was immediately disrobed in prison. Even though they took my monks robes off, other prisoners still treated me like a monk. They were ordered, however, not to use the honorific vocabulary when addressing me. After 1990, it became pretty much a standard procedure to disrobe monks in prison. This makes it possible and easier for the authorities to torture and ill-treat monks. I was also mistreated: they beat me, they put me in isolation and they tortured me.”
U Zawana spent a total of 16 years in prison. How did he survive these years?
“I used my time in prison to practise metta meditation and I also shared this knowledge with other people inside prison. Instead of focussing on how bad the situation was, I tried to view it as a positive experience. I was there, because I was actively working for the good of my country.”
After his release, he faced many difficulties in his ‘free’ life.
“People who contacted me were questioned and harassed by the authorities. Apart from that, the current Religious Affairs department refuses to give me permission to be a monk. So, I was not able to lead the life of a monk inside Burma anymore. These are some of the reasons I had to leave my country. I came to Mae Sot, Thailand, in December 2009.

I continue working for my country from here. I am the contactperson for Sasana Moli in Thailand.”
What does U Zawana think about the November 2010 elections? (We met just before they were held)
“I am often asked my opinion about this at the moment. The military junta which rules Burma have all the confidence to do what they want to do. They want the international community to see them as a legitimate government, so they hold elections. These elections, however, are only a show for the outside world. They will not lead to any improvement inside the country. They just want the outside to see they are good. But after the elections, it will be the same government, with new clothes…
It is not for the good of our country. The elections are no solution for Burma’s problems. They are only a clever tactic to cheat on the people.
The regime knows what they are doing.”
What is U Zawana’s opinion about the difference in opinion which exists in Burma’s opposition, both inside the country as well as among exile Burmese groups, about either boycotting or taking part in the elections?
“I am not against the elections as such. But if we hold elections, they must be free and fair and there should be international observers allowed into the country during the electoral process. This is necessary. Elections are also necessary. But if they are not free or fair, are they necessary?”
The Burmese Buddhist monks are known for their participation in the struggle for freedom and democracy in their country. Their view is the non-violent one. Does U Zawana feel this is the way, or is violence maybe needed at some point to bring down the regime?
“Violence is not needed in my opinion. If the world supports the will of the Burmese people then it is possible to bring change without the use of violence. At the moment the UN Security Council cannot solve our problem, because of recurring opposition from China and Russia. We need support like the UN Security Council: our actions need to be supported by the world, then we are strong.”

How does U Zawana see the future of his country?
“Unless the military dictatorship changes their attitude, our country will not see change. The suffering in Burma will continue. I believe, that when the Burmese people and the international community really take action, change can come.
I believe the international community definitely has some impact on the regime. Just look at what happens when the international community pressurises the junta: they always react to this, by releasing some prisoners as a sign of good will. The international community has an influence.
Another example is the ILO (International Labour Organisation). They started taking action inside Burma. At first, their demands for improvement were ignored by the regime. But at some point, they had to listen to the ILO’s demands and had to give in. There were even some death sentence prisoners who were released because of ILO actions. The international community should act like the ILO. Speak out and really do something and act. The ICC (International Criminal Court) recently issued a good statement about bringing General Than Shwe to court. Things like this could bring some change.”
Does U Zawana have a message for the people?
“Burma has been suffering under this present junta for over 20 years. And the situation is getting worse and worse. Do not ignore the Burmese suffering. Help Burma. And support the Burmese people any way you can. Even normal people can do something. If you know about our situation and understand it, encourage and pressure your governments to do something.”

0 comments:

Post a Comment